Sunday 20 October 2013

4



After watching this interview, I got a lot more insight into the fine details surrounding some of the creative decisions and the inspirations of Anderson. I particularly like the scene near the end where it shows the lined up objects that Wes took photos of while he was at Roald Dahl's house. It very much reflects the simplistic and elegant chairs and tables I had pictured in my head. There will have to be an assortment of wood textures to accommodate these different objects. The fabric based objects are also brown primarily. All fits within the colour scheme.






Textures for new objects.



Going back to the hammer example I made a version of my own here. The shelf under it is influenced directly by the interview above. As the models are of miniature size compared to real-life components, that would mean the wood grain would be a lot more pronounced, ie. it stays the same size no matter the size of the object. For this reason I thought it might be relevant to make a more pronounced grain than might be normal in a 1:1 ratio environment.

I also didn't want every wall to be wood, so I made the other bedroom have a painted wood texture instead. The white rim was done becuase in that interview, Roald Dahl had similar around his home.

I did run into a problem. My original house frame as an extruded plane didn't seem to work very well. Most of the textures applied to it would fade away. I think there might be a certain amount of memory that can be allocated to the plane? After that it just turns to grey. That is what was shown in the earlier post where the wall looked funny. Luis told me the best thing to do would be to make boxes for each individual room. This means I will have to go back and recreate the rooms and apply UVs to them again :(
Luis also suggested to make the sheets from a plane, as I wanted to make a realistic and easy fabric texture using an nCloth off a Youtube tutorial. As the fabrics won't be moving it was a bad idea he thought, as well as being extremely intensive on resources. My attempts of cloth below using plane.


I played with bump mapping for the kitchen because I wanted brick, but there was no convincing models I could find. They were all too rough and gritty. I wanted a smooth brick so what I did was make the wall a grey concrete like texture and then physically make bricks in a white reflective texture. It is easy enough to duplicate these using the side view. The red fridge was a bit over the top, so I thought a completely neutral white kitchen might look best.



Progress. Floor plan and textures more or less mapped out. Beginning to shape objects. Boxes and things with sheets on them are the obvious start. From there I will make little models to place throughout ie the hammer and paintbrushes? Bucket etc. The star carpet on the kids bedroom is a reference to the wallpaper off the movie (stars and the moon). Repeats of certain textures keep a consistency and flow throughout the rooms ie. floor in kitchen and bedroom, walls of hallway and living room as well as carpet.


No comments:

Post a Comment